Are you having a hard time falling asleep? Do you keep tossing and turning until past midnight? There is a possibility that you have insomnia. Did you know that you are not the only one who is going through this every day?
According to sleep experts, millions of people from different age groups suffer from sleep deprivation. As you grow older, it is more difficult or you to sleep for a minimum of eight hours every night. That is why it is essential for you to correct this problem before you experience some of its typical side effects.
Three of the most common signs of insomnia:
- Cannot fall asleep even if it is past your bedtime
- Getting up in the middle of the night and finding it hard to go back to sleep
- Waking up before dawn but feeling tired
Here are five of the most common side effects of insomnia:
- Lack of sleep can cause overeating that leads to weight gain and obesity
- Higher risk of developing stroke and heart disease
- Feel sleepy and sluggish throughout the day
- Quickly catch colds and flu due to a weak immune system.
- Long term insomnia can lead to depression and anxiety attacks
Here are some simple tips that are proven to cure insomnia the natural way:
- Your bedroom temperature should be comfortable. Summers are one of the most challenging seasons to fall asleep. If you do not have AC in your room, it is a smart idea to have a unit installed by companies like Air Conditioning Surrey. This is to make sure that you are comfortable at bedtime.
- Have a regular sleeping routine. No matter how hard you work, it would help if you instilled discipline in yourself by sticking to a daily sleeping routine; meaning you go to bed and wake up at the same time from Monday to Sunday.
- Take a warm bath before bedtime. Studies say that warm baths can help you fall asleep at night, and it helps relax tired and painful muscles. You can prepare a warm bath, soak and add a few drops of lavender essential oil to help you relax and fall asleep within thirty minutes to an hour.
- Avoid using any gadgets before bedtime. Many people are guilty of using their mobile phones or laptops before bedtime; either they answer work-related e-mails, accomplish reports and spend time playing games or stay active on social media. These activities can cause more severe sleeping problems in the future. It is best to leave all the gadgets in the living room.
- Limit your alcohol consumption. There are times when you drink wine during or after dinner with friends. It is very tempting to pour a second glass; however, having too much wine can disrupt your standard sleeping pattern.
Lastly, if you want to fall asleep fast, do your best not to take short naps in the middle of the afternoon. It can affect your usual sleeping pattern.
For more health tips from Nomadic Chick, click here!
Leave a Reply