Driving while intoxicated (DWI) is a severe concern that comes under the criminal offense. If you are convicted of a DWI, and if it goes against you, there is a chance that your name will be permanently engaged with the criminal book of the law.
Accidents happen on the road, and we need to be careful about that. But when it happens due to drunken driving, it becomes intolerable. This is why the law is strict with DWI and driving under the influence (DUI) cases.
Well, what are you going to do when you are accused of such a crime?
Will you argue with the officers if you have not committed the crime? Or will you not put up your face and talk if you have guilt inside you?
Well, both options are wrong for you because there is one thing you can do in whatever situation you are in, and that is to hire a criminal defense attorney. No matter what the situation is, if you hire a criminal lawyer, they will make your life easy.
What Is A Plea Bargain?
Now, let’s jump to the point of Plea Bargaining.
Before we proceed to the negotiation process, do you know what plea bargaining is?
Well, it’s simply the negotiation process that occurs between your lawyer and the prosecutor. With the help of a plea bargain process, your lawyer can help you to reduce your charges to some extent.
So, with a plea bargaining process, you are basically allowing yourself to acknowledge the crime, and in return, the prosecutor will allow you to reduce your charges.
Let’s focus on the types of plea bargaining now!
- Charge bargaining.
- Sentence bargaining.
- Fact bargaining.
- Count bargaining.
Fors And Againsts Of A Plea Bargain
Well, there is more to understand before you negotiate with a plea bargain. If you do not know how it can be beneficial for you or how it is going to harm you, will you go for that process?
No! So, let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of Plea bargaining.
If you look at the advantages of a plea bargain, you will find a lot to convince yourself.
- You will be convicted with lighter sentences. For instance, your days in jail might be reduced significantly.
- Your criminal charges will be reduced. For instance, you will be able to hold your job, and your criminal records can be expunged to some extent.
- If you are done with a successful plea bargain deal, your case will end at the moment.
Apart from the benefits, there are a few drawbacks of plea bargaining that you need to consider while going through this process.
- The court might not accept all the plea bargains and will want to trail the process.
- If you try the case, you will have a chance to win the case or be free from any allegation. But if you consider a plea bargain, certain charges will be against you.
- Your name will still be in the criminal records.
How To Negotiate A Plea Bargain
After considering all the pros and cons, do you think you should go for a plea bargain?
Well, it depends on the particular case you are in! You may click here to learn more about the professional criminal defense lawyer requirements based on your case. Furthermore, for the plea bargain on your DWI case, you should consider the following steps.
- Hire a professional criminal defense lawyer who has experience.
- Enter a plea requirement when you first time appears in court.
- Follow the court stages and ask your lawyer to help you with the plea bargaining process.
- Consider the strengths and weaknesses of your case.
- Let your lawyer negotiate with the prosecutor.
- Think about the plea deal that the prosecutor offers.
- Now think about whether you are going forward with the plea deal or not!
- Discuss with your lawyer and submit the plea deal to the judge.
Well, this is the only process by which you can negotiate the plea deal. However, your attorney is going to play a big role in bringing you the best deal out of it.
If you get the best deal, then only for plea negotiation, and if your attorney advises that you can fight for the trial, they consider trial over plea bargaining. It is always preferable to be clean than to be convicted with fewer crimes and criminal records.
So, think wisely and go smart!